American Property Casualty Insurance Association
  • Staff Contact: Jeffrey Brewer     
    • Printer-Friendly Printer-Friendly PDF Export PDF Export

  • July 20, 2018
  • PCI Offers Recovery Advice and Insurance Information following Iowa Tornado Outbreak
  • DES MOINES, Iowa — As residents and businessowners begin the recovery process from last night’s severe weather and tornadoes that hit Bondurant, Marshalltown and Pella, the Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCI) says weather-related events like this are covered under either a homeowners, renters or commercial insurance policy.

    “Our thoughts are with those who have been impacted by this recent round of violent weather,” said Hilary Segura, counsel, state government relations for PCI. “Anyone who experienced damage should contact their insurance company or agent to get the recovery process started. Insurers plan for severe weather and are prepared to immediately assist policyholders.”

    Yesterday’s tornado activity was unexpected and highlights the importance of homeowners, renters and businessowners always being prepared. Because storms this time of year can strike quickly and with little warning, advance preparation is essential. In addition to keeping an emergency supply kit handy and being prepared to take cover, being ready also includes having the proper insurance coverage for homes, apartments, and businesses.

    PCI offers resources with vital information for those impacted by severe weather, as well as preparedness tips for those living in tornado-prone areas.

    PCI’s Tornado Recovery Tips:

    • Secure property from further damage or theft.
    • Contact your insurance agent or company representative as soon as possible to report damage.
    • Inventory losses and photograph damage to provide to your insurance adjustor. Save receipts.
    • If you are a businessowner, keep detailed records of business activity that is negatively affected due to the tornado or storm and keep a list of extra expenses during the interruption. Prepare records to show the income from the business before and after the loss.
    • Many standard homeowners’ and renters’ policies provide reimbursement of additional living expenses when the property is determined to be uninhabitable due to a covered loss. This provision helps with paying for increases to necessary living expenses such as temporary housing and restaurant meals. In addition, extra expenses such as overnight parking and laundry services may also be covered. Additional living expense coverage does not pay for all living expenses, so contact your insurance company or agent for a list of what your policy will cover.
    • Be careful about unscrupulous contractors following a natural disaster. Contact your insurer, agent or local business bureau for references on potential contractors and ask for certificates of liability and workers compensation before signing contracts.
  • PCI promotes and protects the viability of a competitive private insurance market for the benefit of consumers and insurers. PCI is composed of nearly 1,000 member companies, representing the broadest cross section of insurers of any national trade association. PCI members write $220 billion in annual premium, 37 percent of the nation's property casualty insurance. Member companies write 44 percent of the U.S. automobile insurance market, 30 percent of the homeowners market, 35 percent of the commercial property and liability market and 37 percent of the private workers compensation market.
  • ###